Thursday, January 21, 2010

College Life: Here We Go

It's been over one week since I entered college. Whoa! For all who want to know, I am currently enrolled in Taylor's College Sri Hartamas in the Cambridge A-Level (CAL) program.

I attended the orientation day on January 12 as one of over 200 students enrolled in the A-Levels. When I stepped into the college, I was a nervous wreck inside. The college was so imposing and terrifying, so HUGE. And the huge crowd of people at the entrance didn't help one bit. Almost everyone seemed to be sure of what they were doing, and everyone had their own group of friends to mingle with. I, being the only one from my school, was well and truly alone. And I felt the familiar, forgotten but nevertheless piercing feeling of inferiority; the fearful and timid feeling of being smaller, shorter, less intelligent, less attractive, less confident and less anything attacked me again. The last time I had this feeling was my first day in secondary school. After I became 'broken in' and accustomed to school life, I thought I had outgrown that phase. How wrong I was.

To cut a long story short, however, I managed to get by the first week of college, and made several new friends, each with varying and sometimes conflicting personalities, but all of whom I could mix with, to some degree. I hope that I could get to know them as the term proceeds.

Meanwhile, I hope to fit in with college life. It is a varied, diverse and wildly interesting society which I am now part of. There are students from all walks of life, and from all social and ethnic backgrounds: Malaysians, Britons, Koreans, Japanese, Africans and so on, united in the pursuit of education. Well, I think. I know friends who are in the pursuit of popularity, of freedom to shop(our college is directly next to a shopping centre!),of partying and clubbing (We're eighteen. WE'RE EIGHTEEN, MAN! WOOHOOO!!YESSSS!, and, of course, the pursuit of a girlfriend/boyfriend who is so smoking hot that he/she sets the fire alarm off when in the college. Well, all I can say is that whatever we are chasing after, whatever goals we have, we are now together, at least for one and a half years. Hopefully I will be able to be an active and productive member of the student body, and achieve my own dreams.

OK, the next person that starts singing "We're All In This Together" will be directed to this guy below for a "discipline session".

You don't like that, don't you. So please, lay off the connections between college life and a certain pitiful excuse of a musical.

Just kidding, guys. Alright then, I better stop writing. Bye for now, and Happy Chinese New Year in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment