Thursday, September 24, 2009

Lessons From A Crab

I spent the recent week of holidays in Singapore, at my aunt and uncle's house. I mainly spent the days studying (trying to clock in at least 2-3 hours a day...my willpower is as strong as ice cream on a hot day). Sometimes, I chill in front of the TV or computer, or go swimming. However, on a rare occasion, my uncle, cousins, youngest sister, grandmother and I went down to South Beach to have a walk in the evening.

My uncle spotted a white crab, sitting inside a tunnel dug about a foot deep, at the part of the beach when the shoreline dipped sharply to show the edge of the water during high tide. Thus, the crab resided in a small hollow set in the face of a shallow 'cliff' carved by the waves, out of sight and reach, and conveniently allowing the crab to leave for the ocean during high tide. My uncle pointed the crab out to me. So, with my awesome powers of common sense and intelligence, I decided I was going to dig the crab out of a hole. Mistake number one.

I found a small stick and used it as a pick. Mistake number two. I then positioned myself, in a squatting position, in front of the hole. Mistake number three. I then set to work in a methodical and skillful method. However, soon my method ended up caving in the tunnel and bringing out a mountain of sand in front of me. But I spotted the crab, half buried in the sand. So, I took my stick, placed it behind the crab, and tried to scoop it out of the sand. Mistake number four, and Stupidest Mistake.

I vividly remember what happened next. As soon as my stick made contact with the crab's tough carapace, the 'half-dead' crab jumped to life, all eight limbs fully extended and claws snapping sharply! And whoever thought that crabs were slow and crawled at a low speed sideways never saw a real one. This one threw itself sideways and scuttled out of the sand so quickly that it actually threw up dirt as it ran! I shouted and jumped up, to see my uncle laughing so hard he was bent over double. Angry, surprised, and extremely amused, I flung my stick at the poor crustacean and unleashed a torrent of English, Malay, Chinese, Cantonese and Hokkien swear words at the poor creature, who was now poised about two meters away, claws pointed towards me and scooping out a new hollow with its hind legs. My cousins, sister and I amused ourselves by throwing sand at the crab, who looked like it was falling asleep again.

However, thinking over in hindsight, I felt that there were several profound lessons to be learnt, both from my stupid actions and the crab.

From me:-

1) Looks can, and often do, decieve. Just because something or someone looks half-dead and stupid doesn't mean you can screw around with it. Know what you are getting into.

2) Accept defeat when it comes. If I had tried to irritate the crab again, it might have chased me all around Singapore. Accept losing gracefully, and then beat a quick exit without saying anything.

From the crab:-

1) Don't panic when you get buried. The crab calmly waited as the tunnel caved in and the sand poured down, waiting for light again. Same thing, when sorting through huge piles of work, while working hard to clear it, always be optimistic that relief will come soon.

2) Make the most of bad situations. The crab let me dig it out of the mess I made.

3) Show that you are not to be messed with. Then back off and let it be.

4) Always be ready to start all over again. The crab began digging a new home as soon as it was a safe distance from me.

So, voila! From long convoluted logic and simplicistic anthropomorphism, I present you, the Lessons From A Crab. Hopefully, I keep these lessons in mind in life, and also whenever I go to the beach and find another crab.

P.S. I am making a hasty trip back to KL to attend an interview for Taylor's University College's Principal's Awards for 2010. Wish me luck and pray for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment